The course, hosted by Historic Environment Local Management, will allow delegates to understand the differing perspectives regarding the management and development of historic town centres and the benefits of embracing the historic character to enable sustainable growth.
By the end of the course, participants should:
- Be able to understand and consider the management of town centre development
- Be aware of the significance of heritage assets and the character of an area is understood and articulated in plans and development proposals
- Have an appreciation of the value of heritage as a unique selling point can be articulated especially in plans and development proposals
- Have knowledge of the appropriate reuse of redundant historic buildings
- Be able to ensure that heritage is considered at an early stage in development proposals and know who to involve and what they can contribute.
The audience for this course is primarily Local Authority staff, owners, developers, non-heritage specialists in planning, Heritage Champions and elected members.